About the publication
Title: Santa Cruz Sentinel
ISSN: 1072-446X (Print)1
Purpose, objective, or mission: To provide news and information to residents of the Santa Cruz area.
Target audience: Populace of Santa Cruz and surrounding smaller townships.
Publisher: MediaNews Group.2
Peer reviewed? No.
Type: Civilian newspaper.
Medium: Print and online.
Content: International, national, state, and local news; sports; entertainment; community notices; reviews; and various other topics of local interest.
Frequency of publication: Daily.3
About the publication’s submission guidelines
Location of submission guidelines: http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/submit-letters
Types of contributions accepted: Commentary, opinions, and community information in the form of letters to the editor.4
Submission and review process: Letters should be no more than 150 words. “We do not accept anonymous letters. Letter-writers should include their full name – initials aren’t enough – as well as a street address and telephone number. We don’t publish those details in the newspaper, but need the information for verification purposes.”5
Editorial tone: Informative.
Style guide used: None stated.
Conclusion: Evaluation of publication’s potential for LIS authors
The first reason for publishing in a local paper is to garner support for the local library, announce upcoming events, or bring issues to the attention of the community. The second reason to publish in the local paper is to begin attaching one’s name and voice to library issues, which may cause the author to be contacted in the future on similar subjects. In other words, become an expert (or at least a contact) for local library issues and events.
About the publication’s readers
Publication circulation: Unknown.
Audience location and language or cultural considerations: Readers reside in the Santa Cruz area. English language publication.
Reader characteristics: Median household income of residents of Scotts Valley County is $102,927. The largest share of citizens are white, with Hispanic being the second most common ethnicity.6
Knowledge of LIS subject matter: As this is a lay publications, writers should explain any LIS jargon used in their work.
Conclusion: Analysis of reader characteristics and their potential impact on authors
Authors should be familiar with the area in order to be aware of the concerns and interests of residents.
Last updated: September 28, 2018.
- Santa Cruz Sentinel, Ulrichsweb Global Serials Directory, accessed March 27, 2018, http://ulrichsweb.serialssolutions.com.libaccess.sjlibrary.org/title/1522202408720/552224 ↩
- “Santa Cruz County Sentinel,” Ulrichsweb.com, accessed November 8, 2016, http://ulrichsweb.serialssolutions.com.libaccess.sjlibrary.org/title/1416170454282/552224 ↩
- “Santa Cruz County Sentinel.” ↩
- “As You See it,” SantaCruzSentinel.com, accessed November 8, 2016, http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/submit-letters ↩
- “As You See it.” ↩
- “Data USA: Scotts Valley, CA,” DataUSA.io, accessed November 8, 2016, https://datausa.io/profile/geo/scotts-valley-ca/#demographics ↩