About the publication
Title: The Press-Enterprise
ISSN: 0746-4258 (Print)1
Purpose, objective, or mission: News and information in Inland Southern California.2
Target audience: Residents of Inland Southern California.
Publisher: Press-Enterprise, Inc.3
Peer reviewed? No.4
Type: Civilian publication, newspaper.
Medium: Print and Online.5
Content: Local news is the central focus, with some coverage of national and world events. Events throughout Riverside and San Bernardino county are featured. General news stories, event advertisement, and community related editorials are the main content of this paper.
Frequency of publication: Daily.6
About the publication’s submission guidelines
Location of submission guidelines: http://new.pe.com/submit-letter-to-the-editor
Types of contributions accepted: Letters to the editor.7
Submission and review process: Letters should be submitted via the online form.
Editorial tone: Straightforward news stories written in a clear and basic tone. The columns and editorials are written in an informal manner and often seek to represent the diversity of the community the paper serves.
Style guide used: Not stated.
Conclusion: Evaluation of publication’s potential for LIS authors
Local library events are likely to be featured in the paper. Local librarians might find a potential audience if their article pertains to the local libraries and directly relates to the community. Many local libraries subscribe to this publication and all the staff-written news from the library electronic archives (1992-present) is available in the paper’s online archives.8
About the publication’s readers
Publication circulation: Per their Media Kit, “The Press-Enterprise delivers news and
information to 713,016 adults every week.”9
Audience location and language or cultural considerations: The paper is targeted to residents of Inland Southern California.
Reader characteristics: According to recent data, readership is split fairly evenly between men and women, and the median age of readers is 44 years.10 Data also shows that over 50% are married and college educated. 45% are White, while 40% are Hispanic and the average household income is around $73,000.11
Local libraries in the area subscribe to the paper and most local coffee shops have copies available to their patrons.
Knowledge of LIS subject matter: As The Press-Enterprise is a civilian newspaper, the average reader probably has a layperson’s familiarity with LIS topics.
Conclusion: Analysis of reader characteristics and their potential impact on authors
While the paper does discuss world news and events, potential authors must be aware that the primary goal of the paper is to support the local community. Articles and stories that focus on local news and events have a greater likelihood of being well received. The community the paper serves is highly diverse and contains readers with a variety of different cultures, backgrounds, and educations, and potential authors should be aware and respectful of this diversity.
Last updated: September 26, 2018
- The Press-Enterprise, Ulrichsweb Global Serials Directory, accessed March 27, 2018, http://ulrichsweb.serialssolutions.com.libaccess.sjlibrary.org/title/1522206023659/551870 ↩
- “About Us,” PE.com, accessed November 29, 2016, http://www.pe.com/sections/about/ ↩
- “Press Enterprise,” Ulrichsweb.com, accessed November 29, 2016, http://ulrichsweb.serialssolutions.com.libaccess.sjlibrary.org/title/1415666714464/759788 ↩
- “Submit a Letter to the Editor,” PE.com, accessed November 29, 2016, http://new.pe.com/submit-letter-to-the-editor ↩
- “The Press-Enterprise,” FreedomNewsGroup.net, accessed November 29, 2016, http://www.freedomnewsgroup.net/the-press-enterprise-newspaper ↩
- “Press Enterprise.” ↩
- “Submit a Letter to the Editor.” ↩
- “Archives,” PE.com, accessed November 29, 2016, http://www.pe.com/sections/news/archives/ ↩
- “Media Kit.” ↩
- “Media Kit.” ↩
- “Media Kit.” ↩