About the publication
Title: The New York Times
ISSN: 0028-7822 (Print) and 1553-8095 (Online)1
Purpose, objective, or mission: From their Guide to Ethical Journalism: “The goal of The New York Times is to cover the news as impartially as possible — ‘without fear or favor,’ in the words of Adolph Ochs, our patriarch — and to treat readers, news sources, advertisers, and others fairly and openly, and to be seen doing so.”2
Target audience: Readers interested in high-quality news, information, and entertainment.
Publisher: The New York Times Company.3
Peer reviewed? No.4
Type: Civilian daily newspaper for the general public.
Medium: Print and online.
Content: News – local, national, and worldwide; science, health, weather, education, fashion, theater, book reviews, and travel.5
Frequency of publication: Daily.6
About the publication’s submission guidelines
Location of submission guidelines: http://www.nytimes.com/content/help/site/editorial/op-ed/op-ed.html and http://www.nytimes.com/content/help/site/editorial/letters/letters.html
Types of contributions accepted: Op-ed piece or letter to the editor.7
Submission and review process: Their submission guidelines contains two articles on their editing process. This is taken from an article linked to their submission guidelines: “We need a diversity of voices and opinions about a range of topics. Anything can be an Op-Ed. We’re not only interested in policy, politics or government. We’re interested in everything, if it’s opinionated and we believe our readers will find it worth reading. We are especially interested in finding points of view that are different from those expressed in Times editorials.”
Editorial tone: Informational.
Style guide used: None specified.
Conclusion: Evaluation of publication’s potential for LIS authors
Difficult due to competition due to their popularity and limited area type of submissions accepted. If successful would be a great platform to speak to a large audience that it appears would be supportive of LIS issues, and would look excellent on a resume or CV.
About the publication’s readers
Publication circulation: Daily print circulation of 590,000, with 1.1 million for the Sunday edition.8
Audience location and language or cultural considerations: Based in New York, NY, with readers across the U.S. and around the world. Published in English and read around the world, requiring writers to explain or avoid any cultural references that would only be familiar to readers in the US.9
Reader characteristics: According to their media kit, the majority of readers have at least a college education, average age 46 and make in excess of $75,000 a year. Many readers are employed in professional or managerial positions.10
Knowledge of LIS subject matter: While is is likely some librarians read The New York Times, the majority of readers will have limited knowledge of LIS issues and jargon.
Conclusion: Analysis of reader characteristics and their potential impact on authors
Writers need to submit work that will appeal to the worldwide audience of nearly a million.
Last updated: November 13, 2014
- The New York Times, Ulrichsweb Global Serials Directory, accessed March 24, 2018, http://ulrichsweb.serialssolutions.com.libaccess.sjlibrary.org/search/-1287987659 ↩
- “Ethical Journalism,”NYTCO.com, accessed October 17, 2016, http://www.nytco.com/wp-content/uploads/NYT_Ethical_Journalism_0904-1.pdf ↩
- “Copywright Notice,” NYTimes.com, accessed October 17, 2016, http://www.nytimes.com/content/help/rights/copyright/copyright-notice.html ↩
- “How to Submit an Op-Ed Article,” NYTimes.com, accessed October 17, 2016, http://www.nytimes.com/content/help/site/editorial/op-ed/op-ed.html ↩
- “New York Times,” NYTimes.com, accessed October 17, 2016, http://www.nytimes.com/ ↩
- “Today’s Paper,” NYTimes.com, accessed October 17, 2016, http://www.nytimes.com/pages/todayspaper/index.html ↩
- “How to Submit an Op-Ed Article.” ↩
- Ember, Sydney. “New York Times Co. Reports Loss as Digital Subscriptions Grow.” New York Times, May 3, 2016. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/04/business/media/new-york-times-co-q1-earnings.html (October 17, 2016). ↩
- “New York Times Media Kit,” NYTmediakit.com, accessed October 17, 2016, http://nytmediakit.com/newspaper ↩
- “New York Times Media Kit.” ↩